thinking, sharing, understanding NORMAL.

Life of a Health Administration Major at Indiana University – Bloomington

by Mackenzie Shumaker, KTB Intern

“What do you want to be when you get out of school?” – a question every college-bound student has heard a time or two. As a freshman at Indiana University, you enter Bloomington with endless possibilities. IUB offers 180 majors through various departments which gives you a lot to contemplate about as a freshman. I always thought I knew what I wanted to major in, but my mind changed when I got to Indiana University.

My journey through SPEA, the School of Public and Environmental Affairs, began during the second semester of my freshman year. I was interested in a degree in the medical field, but business classes also greatly interested me. The Health Administration track seemed like (and has been) the best of both worlds – I am consistently challenged to fulfill my goals, but also enjoy going to class each and every day.

My classes began at 8AM every morning (Monday-Thursday) this semester.  I have had great luck with scheduling since I applied to SPEA and I haven’t had a single Friday class since my first semester of college. Three day weekends are a great reward at the end of a long school week. ..and the benefit of starting the day so early is that you get done with your classes early in the afternoon, leaving time for you to do what YOU want to do. My courses cover a variety of topics, some healthcare related and some not. Topics included economics, statistics, law, and ethics courses, to name a few.

The spring semester always seems to be the longest. You have school all through January and February, finally have spring break in March (which is the fastest week ever!), then back to school until the beginning of May. There are a few things that keep you busy during these months though – internship and job hunting. I was so lucky to find my internship with the Komen Tissue Bank early in the semester, some of my peers were not so fortunate and were still searching at the end of April. I am so thankful for this opportunity and cannot wait to see what this summer has in store!

Staying involved outside of the classroom was another major goal of mine this semester. I was inducted in the National Residence Hall Honorary last year. NRHH plans and coordinates events for those students who are residing in the residence halls on campus, completes service projects throughout Bloomington, and provides leadership opportunities to the members of the club. I am also actively involved in the Indiana University Student Foundation. IUSF provides scholarships to working students and coordinates The Little 500 cycling series in Bloomington each spring. These organizations met weekly which really kept me on my toes, balancing studying, meetings, and time with friends.

My friends and I frequented many of the local restaurants trying to soak up as much of the Bloomington atmosphere as possible. We realized around winter break that our time in B-town was nearly half way over – we hadn’t fulfilled nearly enough of the items on our bucket lists yet, so we got to work. We explored places we hadn’t been, participated in activities around campus, and had lots of fun while doing it.

I have been incredibly pleased with my experiences at IU and I am very happy with my major selection. I feel it is going to greatly benefit me in the future years

Please leave your comments below. Your journal entry should appear on this page within 24 hours of submitting.

Subscribe to our Blog!

Name:

Categories