Register to Donate Tissue
IF YOU ENCOUNTER ANY ISSUES OR ERRORS MAKING AN APPOINTMENT THROUGH THIS SYSTEM, PLEASE CALL KATHI RIDLEY-MERRIWEATHER AT 317-319-6337 ASAP AND WE WILL HELP YOU MANUALLY. THANK YOU!
The KTB will hold a tissue collection event in Houston on February 28, 2015, at Baylor College of Medicine, McNair Campus, 7200 Cambridge, Houston, TX 77030. Online donor registration will close on Friday morning after 8:00 AM CST. If you would like to donate and online registration has been disabled, please call 317-319-6337 t0 schedule an appointment to donate tissue.
ATTENTION SPECIAL GROUPS!! Please choose “Public” when asked your group name.
If you have already received a donation code, please click the “Schedule an Appointment to Donate Tissue” button above, and proceed through registration.
If you are male or are not a minority female, please consider answering our great need for volunteers by filling one of the event volunteer spots. You may register to work at the event by clicking here.
Why should YOU donate? This video may have some answers for you.
If you are registering for an event and are part of a reserved group, your coordinator will notify you of a code. If you are not a member of a particular reserved group, please choose “public” during the registration process when asked about groups.
The KTB is always seeking to collect tissue from a particular set of donors. If you are any of the following, and are considering donating, we are especially appreciative:
- members of minority cultural, ethnic, or racial groups (African American, Hispanic, Asian, Pacific Islander, Native American, etc.)
- pregnant at time of donation
- nursing at time of donation
- within 3-6 months post partum at time of donation (if you did not breastfeed)
- within 3-6 months post full weaning at time of donation
- women with dense breast tissue
- repeat donations from women who previously donated between 2006 and 2009.
If any of these criteria apply to you and you would like to donate, please contact Amy Trullinger.
To donate tissue, an individual:
- Must be a woman at least 18 years of age.
- Must have the ability to understand and the willingness to sign an informed consent. (No signs of dementia or any psychiatric conditions that would not allow the understanding or rendering of informed consent.)
- Must be willing to give about an hour and a half of her time to complete a questionnaire and a breast tissue sample collection.
- Must inform us as to whether you routinely get antibiotics prior to a dental procedure.
- Must not be allergic to local anesthetics (numbing medicines such as lidocaine.)
- Must not be receiving a therapeutic blood thinner. (This does not include aspirin.)
- Must not have breast implants or have had a breast reduction.
- If pregnant or breastfeeding, must call for consultation prior to registering for an appointment.
How Do I Sign Up to Donate?
Donor registration is done online, through our website. If appointments are being accepted for a particular tissue collection event, you may schedule an appointment to donate tissue. Follow the prompts, which will guide you through the online process. You may register for an actual event only if that event is upcoming and active.
If an event date is still more than 3-4 weeks away, rather than being able to actually register, you may join our interested donor list. This adds you to an email alert list, and you will be notified when the appointments for the next event have been released. This sign up is always available online; there is no need to wait for an event to be announced in order to place your name on this list.
As a donor of breast tissue and/or blood, please keep in mind you do have Donor Rights.
Step-by-Step Walkthrough of the Donor’s Day
- Arrive, greeted by volunteers, check in – take time if desired to enjoy water, coffee, smoothie, or other complimentary services. (3 minutes)
- Escorted to consenting area to complete informed consent paperwork. (15 minutes)
- Measurements of height and weight are taken. (5 minutes)
- Escorted to computer area to complete online questionnaire. (5-10 minutes)
- Go to waiting area to be assigned to a phlebotomist. 3 small vials of blood drawn. (5-10 minutes)
- Escorted to examination room, tissue collected, direct pressure applied. See FAQs for detailed outline of procedure. (20 minutes)
- Escorted through checkout procedure – take time if desired to enjoy water, coffee, smoothie, or other complimentary services. (3 minutes)
Total time in the clinic– usually 60-75 minutes.